Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Shooting Star.

I saw a star in the sky today on my way home. It was truly a sight to behold, like a glittering pearl of the oceans, illuminating the sky like a candle in the darkness.

The star was but one among millions of its kind, but in the dark it shone with such ravishing beauty no other star can replicate. The star was just identical to any other star. Plain and ordinary. But what was it that made that particular star shine with such radiance? There certainly was something that this star had which other stars do not possess.

Something special.

A smile came upon my face as again I set my gaze upon the star. Unfortunate are those who never got the chance to see it, for it was such a pretty star. Pardon me for my lack of vocabulary, but I can find no other words to describe it. It was simply... Pretty.

Someone once said to me, "Hey, can you see stars in the sky? Remember, whenever you see stars in the sky, smile! Because you know we'll be smiling at the stars too, thinking of you."

Reading that does give you a warm, fuzzy feeling in your chest, doesn't it? Well, yeah. I must admit that I was really touched by it, and I admit that it even brought me to tears. Such warmth, honestly, I have only experienced a few times in my life.

Now everytime I look at the stars, I can't help but smile. Reminiscing upon the good old times, and wishing that I could turn back time.

Speaking about stars, I read something in The Little Prince which truly brought me to arousal from my deep slumber in life. Stars, everyone of them is the same. You can see myriads of them in the sky, but what makes these stars so beautiful?

"The stars are beautiful, because of a flower that cannot be seen." Such were the words of the Prince himself.

Now, what you truly love is not the object. It is something beyond material, something beyond substance. Something is valuable because you place a value on it, not because it is truly valuable.

Tell me, would a starving man choose food over a nugget of gold? (YES. I managed a rhetorical question!)

Gold is "valuable" only because we out value into it. So are all other "valuables".

What truly is valuable, are the everyday things most of us never learnt to appreciate. That cup of water, that plate of food, that gulp of fresh air, that ray of sunlight, that group of friends. You knew all these existed, and you know you can't live without these things, but how many times have you thanked God under your breath for life's essentials?

I thank God for that star in the sky.

------------------------------------------------------------

I turned away, as the star slid down the magnificient width of the darkened sky.

The first shooting star in my life. What does that mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment