Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Education

In the library again and finding little motivation to continue reading my book. Hmm I noticed how much I have changed since I entered JC education. I think so much more, and I always manage to identify my problems quite accurately. What is lacking in me is only the willingness on my part to nip these problems in the bud. Actually, not willingness. It is something like a barrier that I cannot overcome in my endeavours for a better life. It is a form of mental or spiritual laziness, maybe even reluctance, for I have nothing to motivate me for betterment.

Back again to the issues in life. I always find it refreshing to ponder upon the intricacies of life, in any aspect.

Education shall be the word for today. It has been the age-old art of the transfering of knowledge between human being. What is defined by education? To me, life in itself is a form of education. You learn from life. Even if a child is "uneducated", he/she would still learn a multitude of things from the people around them, and that is in fact another form of education. To me, successful education would be one in which all students learn about life and how to appreciate it. Personally, I would say that the arts would be the perfect route to take if academics were compulsory (once again I wonder why I am in the science stream), the arts help the human to appreciate the nature of human beings; the basic building blocks of life (emotions and feelings, not cells) and how these little blocks piece together to form complex structures which are mysteriously beautiful and intricate.

The arts would give students a better view of these structures. The arts would teach these students to appreciate the beauty and wonders which they encounter in every day life, however small they may seem. The arts would help an individual find meaning and direction in his/her life (be it good or bad, quote the example of Hitler, who was in close contact with the arts as well).

So what made me think of education?

Not just the prospect of satisfaction from success. Not just for the smiles and tears of joy. Not just for the teacher-student chemistry. Not just to pass on knowledge to the next generation.
I want to change lives.

Teachers have changed my life over these few years, and I am who I am because of these very special people. I cannot imagine what I would be like now if I had not been slapped awake with a smelly slab of rotten fish by my teachers. They changed my life and they moulded me into another person. A better one.

I want to be one of them. The group of people who keep the next generation going. The group of people who give themselves to the betterment of humanity. The group of people who lead the "blind" onto the right path in life.

The group of people who inspire.

With all that has been said, I give thanks for the teachers who shaped me. I can never be grateful enough.

Others who shaped me, that'll be left for later dates. Sorry that this post could have been so much better and with a more holistic point of view, but I don't feel really up to it just yet. Off I go to my book (:

No comments:

Post a Comment