Friday, April 13, 2007

book parade

Iwamura is one heck of a player.

Right, so this is my second day of my 4-day rest week. Personally I would rather be in school instead of going through all these (which is really saying something), but in fact I have done the same thing at home as I would have done in school, only that I read without the 'interruptions' of lessons. I have finished "Seize the Night" and am into "Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less" by Jeffrey Archer, the novel through which he shot to instant fame. I'd probably be done with that latest by tomorrow, after which I would have no idea as to what book to read.

"One Man's Bible" by Gao Xingjian does not really appeal to me (having read 4 chapters of it earlier today) as it is a version which has lost some meaning through translation to English. Awkward as it seems, I think I would put it down for the moment, for the novel dealt with deeper and uncharted territories of my heart. Maybe I would read it as soon as I get a hunger for Chinese novels, but I would start with "Soul Mountain" if that day ever comes.

Dean Koontz is one heck of a writer, and so is Jeffrey Archer.

Dean Koontz has total control over the intricacies of human relationships and sociality, along with mastery of dialogue and conversation, which places the reader completely in the shoes of the narrator. The reader is able to feel the kinship and camaraderie experienced. This, combined with an adequately subtle plot, gives rise to an entirely unique reading experience.

Jeffrey Archer, on the other hand, has complete mastery of the plot. He strikes with immeasurable cunning and pure genius, bringing factors into the story which would otherwise be somewhat incoherent, or largely unimaginable. His knowledge of the loopholes of modern systems and the inexplicable complexities of the human mind gives rise to an intriguing read.

As a reader, heck. I can only live in bliss of being able to have the best of both worlds in my hands for a great read. Pure intellectual satisfaction.

Emotionally, though, it is somewhat a different story. A story crafted by God- nothing of all that existentialism crap- which is in its entirety is a journey already planned out for me.

Eliot once said that time past, time present, and time in the future all exist simultaneously; anything that 'would-have-been' if any individual had taken a diverse course of action would be purely illusory. Maybe its true, but if it were so, what would be the point of living my life?

The answer would probably never come to me in a lifetime, for there are no answers to these questions which trouble me. I probably am a sort of renaissance man, one who resorts very much to thoughts instead of actions. These thoughts, though, are sometimes intertwined in such a complicating manner that it would be a miracle if I ever managed to clear my thoughts and get them straight.

Yeah, that's what I need.

A freaking miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment