Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Past. Present. Future?

Here it comes again, here it comes again. The feeling that I'm not good enough and I never will live up to those aspirations. I fail time and again, and it leaves me wondering when I can ever right myself of these wrongs. It always is the case when it seems like I'm one mistake away from damnation, and I guess if all my hypotheses were right I'd be going to Hell hundreds, even thousands of times over for the mistakes that I could have prevented myself from making with sufficient self-control. That is the fact that troubles me most; that I could have done something to stop myself from committing these errors, but yet making those mistakes anyway.

It is said that humans learn from mistakes better than they ever learn from anything else, but why do people make the same mistakes over and over again? Why does a leopard never change its spots, even when mountains crumble and oceans dry up?

The root word of history would be the greek "historia", which means "learning by inquiry". Even with the thousands of years of human history that we have seen, and the scores of examples of the fall of Man to the temptations of sin, why do people of today still commit the same mistakes over and over again without even blinking an eye? Things are made worse by the fact that we are aggravating the human condition by propagating the undesirable; violence, lust, vanity and immorality are but a few of the rotten fruits of humanity today.

It seems that no amount of learning can rectify the flaws of humanity and its nature, and pessimists certainly have a good reason to predict a bleaker future than ever could be predicted. With the rise of individualistic ideologies in the world today through globalization, more and more people are taking things into their own hands; both on the micro and macro scale, in all aspects of human life as we know it today.

Increasing numbers of people today hold the belief that personal freedom comes with the power to influence their destiny, that they have the ability to affect change on the world they live in through the power of the mind alone. The world today is operated with money as the blood that runs through its veins, and we see the very high level of dependence that people place on their finances. People place emphasis on money, the very thing that can create rifts in matters of the heart and all else that truly matters. Priorities are often misplaced, and the problem seems set to extend its roots even further into our hearts. Christians, too, are faced with problems such as these.

We have lost focus. We have fallen prey to the disguised traps of the Evil One, and only one thing can save us.

The One who has saved us from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment