Wednesday, June 21, 2006

NUS Open 2006

Alright here's the post. Took the liberty of writing this while I'm supposed to be doing math. Once again I am doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, or rather the right thing at the wrong time. Might as well continue on what I have started.

As promised earlier, this post is about the NUS Open 2006. Although it was a pretty short tournament which lasted only for a meagre two days, it was as good as any tournament can be. Frankly speaking, I did not know what I was in for, and I assume that the others did not expect much either.

It turned out to be one exceedingly proliferant experience, and it actually did not feel too bad wearing a jersey with a different number. Even though with sixteen, 1+6= 7. It was still a different number anyway.

Alright, our first match was against RJC. Most, if not all, of the RJC J2 guys were in the Combined Schools team. You would think that this weakened them by substantial amounts, but they still had tons of players there. Leaves me wondering. Anyway, it was the first match, and I was on the "rest list". Felt pretty disappointed, but I guess it was alright. We played a composed game, not yielding to the opponents' attempts to break our defense. Game ended with a scoreline of 6-5. Anyway, a win is a win. We went for lunch at the NUS canteen and played our next game against Catalyst. By then, the team had bonded quite well.

I was the starter for the game against Catalyst. I was pitching so badly during warm up that I would be of better utility to the team as a piece of dirt on the ground. I decided I should not go on with the warm up. No point in trying to change things then. Better go in as an incapable pitcher full of stamina, than one who is already tired out.

The game started soon after. The first inning ended after only four batters, a runner stranded on first base. I was pitching unexpectedly well. Maybe I had used up all my bad pitches during warm up. I went on to hold for a while, and got relieved by YH when I let in some runs. Two or three runs, but it did not matter in the least. I did the best I could.

I think Ivan hit a homer against them. Nice shot.

It was that day, I was welcomed into the world of out-of-the-park homers. Personally I only have one homer this year. Grand slam out-of-the-park. That was all. Which proves the point that I hit for bases.

Anyway, the game ended with a respectable scoreline of 5-2. Very respectable, since their team consisted of National players and ex-National players. With the exception of Bises and Leonard I think.

The day ended just like that.

The next day had a pretty early start, considering the fact that we had to be at the NUS field by 7am. I woke at 5, packed my stuff, and left for McDonalds. Swei was waiting for me there. After a quick breakfast, we set off. Thanks to his parents for providing transport. Honestly, without them I would not have had enough sleep. I would have to wake up at around 4am, if my calculations are right.

We were not the first to reach there. Jee Boon was already there, found out he reached at around 6.15am. That is so maddy.

We started warm up at around 7.15am. Sadly we were playing at field 1, but it was alright I guess. I played a bit for this game against AC Alumni as a first baseman. I had one pretty good at bat, hitting a triple. Sadly I could not join the "over-the-fence" club, but who cares. I hit for bases.

We eventually won the game. I think this was the game in which Jee Boon and Jia Yuan hit back-to-back homers. The first one I've seen in my entire life. Well, at least not on the computer screen.

Next game was right after, against Ngee Ann Polytechnic. Yuan Hong started first. I only pitched one inning for this game, and I drew two K's. For batting, I was 1 for 2. The score was 24-0, which was pretty much ownage.

I shall not comment about our signal. Interesting as it is.

After that was the break. Went and bought McDonalds for the guys with Andre and Bert. The first time I have seen such a huge McDonalds order. It was mighty heavy too, but it made a good meal indeed.

Next match was against HC Alumni. The semi-finals. I was a DP. I pretty much got owned by Kenneth, got jammed and hit a foul pop. The team did well to pile up the runs though. Hong Shen made a double play! A nice one too. Then there was a pitching change and I hit a single off Coach Alex. Too bad it was of no use at all. I was 1 for 2.

We won the match, but I do not know of the score, too bad.

Then came the final. It was against Catalyst again, but this time Bises was pitching. Another meeting of old friends. I grounded out the first at bat. The match was scoreless for around three innings, both teams defended well.

Then came the "Best Batter", hitting a solo homer to commence the slugfest. We kept on scoring and scoring. I even hit a double to start a rally. Running home and drawing the run. Phew. The highlight of my tournament. Chuckles. In the end we owned them and yeah. Happy ending.

We even got a Hush Puppies shirt.

After that, it was pretty sad to leave the dudes, not knowing when our next gathering as a team would be. It was damn fun dudes! Looking forward to the next tournament together.

Anyway, a bit of extra here. Went for dinner with Swei. Fish and chips, and there was something in my water. Let's not say what it is, but it was black and it was floating on top of my water. Pthooooey. Thanks Swei and family.

I don't believe Hong Shen. 20% form???? Demoralizing. I put 110% into the NUS Open.

I await the next plethora of Combined Schools ephemera.

No comments:

Post a Comment