Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Saying Goodbye.

To be frank, I have never imagined that this milestone in my life would come so hastily. I thought that my life in Catholic High would feel like aeons, but no. In fact, it was pretty much ephemeral. Tomorrow is graduation day. I still cannot face the fact that I am to leave this second family of mine- my brothers and my mentors. In Catholic High I had found something entirely unique; a delightful concoction of friendship and brotherhood. Something which I fear I would not have the chance to experience after I leave this special place. For four years I have been a part of this family- even though sometimes it did not feel like it- and it was indeed an experience worthy of reminiscence.

When I first did the buttons for my uniform (almost breaking my nails in the process), I was decidedly filled with despair. Was I going to do that everyday for four years running? It seemed a dreadful prospect then, but now, I have this nagging feeling that I would miss my uniform very much when I leave. I have come to love that "nerdy-looking" uniform and those "weird green" shorts, for in them I have experienced what probably is the time of my life.

They say that a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step in the right direction, and I am indeed extremely fortunate to have taken this first step. Four years in Catholic High has seen me grow significantly, whether physically, mentally or spiritually. The school has developed the essential tripod of every student's personal growth, and I am certain that not many schools out there would be able to provide their students with this holistic education. For that, I have the teachers and my friends to thank. Teachers, I am eternally beholden to every single one of you. You have put in your time, your efforts and sometimes even your money (printing costs etc.) to make sure that we reach our maximum potential. You have put up (sometimes not entirely) with all the nonsense that we literally threw at you. You have made a substantial impact in my life. For all the times we had, whether good or bad, I give thanks.

As for my friends, you have also taught me many things, even though some of those things are decidedly very "unwholesome" (quote Mr Leong). Do not forget that values are not meant to be compromised. Never mind the unwholesome part though, you have taught me something more important; brothers look out for each other. My brothers, I hope our friendship and brotherhood will last. This, definitely, is not any superficial level of acquaintance. You know I love you guys (please, i'm straight though).

Four years ago, I had entered Catholic High in a state of delusion. Having scored a decent score- 253 plus 2- for the PSLE, sad to say, the young and immature me had let my guard down. I was supine. Honestly, in secondary One and Two, I had totally no idea what was going on. I did not even remember myself studying for anything. It was surprising that I somehow managed to get myself promoted, albeit to a not-very-exceptional class (fortunately, for I cannot imagine myself residing in classes like 4-1, 4-3 or 4-5, where I would be flattened).

Actually, when I found out that I was going to be in one of the bottom few classes, I was pretty much in a state of shock. As a result, I was slightly sober in 3-8, putting in a bit of conscious effort to improve my studies. The results did not show it though, as my foundations were appallingly unsubstantial. One fine example was mathematics. I had to start afresh from the basics, and I have Mr Leong to thank for what I am now- mathematically proficient; my standard of English was reclining at a very low level, and I have Mr Heng to thank for slapping me awake. Other subjects have also seen me relearn everything from the basic fundamentals, all at varying periods of Upper Secondary (mainly Secondary Four), and now I have the confidence that all things can be done as long as I have the belief and the perseverance.

The school has seen many ups and downs in the duration of a mere two years, from the record-breaking batch of 2004 to the not-so-satisfactory batch of 2005. Many problems had tarnished the image of the school, from the canteen fights to the scandalous anti-CH blogs. Catholic High saw chaos in 2006, but from the ashes, hope shines dazzling in its own majesty. We will just have to wait and see.

Another essential aspect of my life in Catholic High was the Co-Curricular Activity. Somehow I had passed the selection for softball (by defiantly throwing a ball right into the box after being told to sit down). Frankly, I had no inkling what I was getting myself into when I wrote the word 'Softball' on my CCA application form. I was just trying out something new, not knowing that four years of gruelling physical training, intense mental pressure and overwhelming satisfaction would follow. Even so, the CCA did not only emphasize the importance of physique but also the importance of the mind and character. The softball "regime" was definitely the most disciplined of all the sports groups and I am proud to be a CH softballer. We had started out with nothing, and we are now leaving the school, numerous championships under our belts. What mattered most is that the championships did not come easily. We fought for them as a team. Now, at the end of four years, I can only say that we have fought a good fight. Now it is up to out predecessors to continue the legacy. Keep going.

What probably is dearest to me in Catholic High, is the relationship I have with my brothers, especially the ones from 4-8. I would no doubt love to walk around in Bishan one day before elections and see Marcus' face smiling back at me from a campaign poster, go to an awesome fast-food chain to find out that it was owned by Gilbert, etc. At present, the thought might seem somehow hilarious, but it might just be what is going to happen. Who knows? I am going to miss the times we had; the Chuck Norris jokes (Chuck is the BOMB), Marcus' hilarious randomness (Every Villain Is Lemon), Gilbert's crazy lame jokes (what happens when you put an orange in front of a synagogue?), Gaw's "perverse" actions (sorry for mentioning this but I had to), etc. It was fun.

There just might be one day we have a class reunion when we are all grown up, when we look back at the year 2006. Smiles would come to our faces, and someone says to me, "Hey, you know what? That was one of the best years of my life", and I would heartily agree.

Here ends one chapter of my life, together with the plethora of CH ephemera. Sometimes the hardest thing is saying goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment